Triangle pose is one of the most popular poses in yoga. Why?
The benefits of this pose includes:
- opens chest, shoulder and side hip
- stretches the hamstrings and calves
- strengthening the core, legs, obliques and back
- teaches long alignment in the spine
- improves digestion
This pose feels great to open the chest and shoulders in the days where we spend a lot of time hunched over technology such as laptop, phones, iPads, etc. It has become very common to be slightly hunched over and a big reason why I started yoga was due to my poor posture. I thought I wanted to make a change before my alignment got worse. Over the course of six months to a year, the way I stand and carry myself has completely changed by simply stretching and strengthening these areas.
Alternatives & Tips
- Use a block to place your lower hand on if your spine is curved to lift the chest and keep back long
- Option to place back heel against the wall for more support in this pose
- Inhale open the shoulder and lengthen the top arm, lift chest and lengthen spine
- Advanced option to brace core and lift top arm above head, stretching to the front of the body. Check the alignment of your spine and ensure it is long and extended
Tip: Sign up for more detailed posts & FREE guided mediation practices so you can practise at home! We understand how busy schedules can be. Sign up to receive these emails with yoga sequences, breathing techniques and much more! Go to the top of the page on the website to join the Totes Yoga Community TODAY!